- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Yields: 10-12 bars
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, optional
- 1/2 assorted finely chopped dried fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, or seeds
- Prepare your toppings, oats and cereal.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter, sugar and honey.
- Cook, read bubbling, the melted mixture for two minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla if you choose, we omit in our house.
- Remove from heat, add in the remaining ingredients and stir thoroughly until dry mixture is completely coated.
- Place the mixture into a lightly greased shallow cooking pan, about 3/4″ deep. This will likely only fill half the pan.
- Pack the mixture down to form a large thin square of granola bar, let this cool two hours before cutting. We use a rolling pin to form an even block of granola and allow the pin to ride on the sides on the cooking pan.
- Cut the sugar and honey ingredient in half for less sweetness.
- Try many variation of toppings, we regularly use:
- Dried cherries, dried mango and almond slivers
- Dried apple, dried apricot and raw sunflower seeds
- Chocolate chips
Have something to contribute, the world wants to hear from you.