Alberta Provincial Legislation
The list below is a limited selection of the numerous pieces of pertinent regulation applicable to paramedics in regards to Provincial Legislation.
- Alberta Health Act
- Health Disciplines Act (Legacy)
- Health Professions Act
- Emergency Health Services Act
- Traffic Safety Act
- Child, Youth & Family Enhancement Act
- Protection for Persons in Care Act
- Fatality Inquiries Act
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Emergency Medical Aid Act
- Limitations Act
- Mental Health Act
- Personal Directives Act
- Health Information Act
- Personal Information Protection Act
- Mandatory Testing and Disclosure Act
- Pharmacy and Drug Act
- Protection of Children Abusing Drugs Act
- Public Health Act
Alberta Employment Standards
The government of Alberta has employment standards for all employers in the province, including emergency medical service providers. You can learn more about Employment Standards on their website.
There are unique rules for ambulance attendant employees under the Employment Standards Regulation. Learn more about ambulance attendants exceptions.
Alberta Occupational Health and Safety
In the province of Alberta, occupational health and safety rules establish minimum standards for safe and healthy practices in the workplace. Both workers and employers have a shared responsibility to follow legislation. Visit the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety website for more information.
There are three main components to the health and safety legislation:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulation
- Occupational Health and Safety Code
Occupational Health and Safety Resources
Alberta Professional Regulation
The paramedicine profession in Alberta is regulated by the Alberta College of Paramedics in accordance with the Health Professions Act of Alberta. To learn more about the role of the Alberta College of Paramedics visit their website.
Canadian Federal Legislation
The list below is a limited selection of the numerous pieces of pertinent regulation applicable to paramedics in regards to Canadian Federal Legislation.